The Newcastle Cathedral Choirs Association’s (NCCA) purpose is to safeguard and promote the musical heritage of our Cathedral. We aim to do this by raising the public profile of the Choirs, aiding the development of the Choirs as a cohesive social group, raising funds to support the Choirs’ activities and encouraging the integration of the Choirs and their activities within the whole Cathedral community.
Choristers, parents of Choristers, Lay Clerks and Choral Scholars have automatic membership, but anyone from the wider community who shares in the aims of the Association is very welcome to join.
We hold regular meetings for all members throughout the year for the discussion and exchange of information.
Aims and Objectives
Our main objectives are:
- To advance the education of the public in the art and science of English Cathedral music by supporting and furthering the provision of said music by Newcastle Cathedral Choirs, thus helping to ensure that its tradition is maintained and developed as part of the Cathedral’s worship and heritage.
- To ensure the long term sustainability of the Choirs and their musical heritage in the Cathedral.
- To promote the Choirs and establish and develop a high public profile for the Choirs.
- To aid in the development of the Choirs as a cohesive social group.
- To promote friendly associations between all participating members of the Choirs and their activities within the whole cathedral community.
To achieve our objectives we rely on our members. Whether you dedicate time, donations or ideas, we will always be grateful for any support you can give us.
How will my membership help the Choirs?
The Newcastle Cathedral Choirs Association (NCCA) is dedicated to supporting music in the Cathedral and beyond, thus helping to ensure that its tradition is maintained and developed for the future. By joining the NCCA you are making a valuable contribution to their important work.
In recent years the NCCA has assisted in a number of different ways:
- Providing funds to support choir tours to Paris and Winchester, for the purchase of new vestments and in the production of the acclaimed Girls’ Choir CD.
- Providing time and effort to support recruitment and social activities.
Are there other benefits?
Throughout the year there are social events and opportunities for members to meet the Choirs. NCCA members are entitled to free entry to Choirs Association sponsored concerts during the year. There is also the very real satisfaction of knowing that you are supporting a long tradition of choral music in our Cathedral and providing our young singers with experiences that will last them a lifetime.
How do I join?
It is very easy to join the NCCA and to start supporting the choirs. You can download an application form here. Please return completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or the postal address below.
If you wish to make a donation to support the Choirs Association, please send your cheque (payable to ‘Newcastle Cathedral Choir Association) to the address below.
We would be delighted to hear from you if you have any queries about our activities, would like to know more about the Choirs or would like to become involved in the work of the Association.
0191 232 1939
Newcastle Cathedral Choirs Association
c/o The Music Department
42/44 Mosley Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
Who are we?
The Association is run by an elected committee of volunteers, chaired by the Director of Music and with representation from Chorister parents and Lay Clerks/Choral Scholars.
- Chair – Ian Roberts
- Vice Chair – Marion Peutherer
- Secretary – Andrea Hewitson
- Treasurer – Susan Carver
- Social Secretary – David Molyneux
- Co-opted Member – John Lewis
- Co-opted Member – Gail Davies
- Co-opted Member – Lydia Stoddart
The committee members can be contacted by email: email@example.com.